Sunday, November 3, 2013

How To: Clear Skin Part One


Hello Everybody!


I've decided it is time for a skincare how-to mini series. I will go over what I am doing at the moment and will provide product recommendations that I have truly tried and that have worked for me. This will be the first of three parts that will be posted every Sunday!


My skin has improved greatly since I started following my own tips as well as a few of my close friends and lab mates. Before I start, I would like to make it very clear that I am not a dermatologist, and this is what has worked for me and my skin. I recommend you see your doctor or consult with your doctor if you have any questions. These tips and product recommendations may or may not work for your skin the same way it worked for my skin.

All disclosures aside, let's begin! 

First things first. Cleanse.

Do this morning and night, without fail!!!! No excuse, I don't want to hear it!! 

All my life I have been a foaming cleanser type of girl, until a few months back, I began with Emma Hardie Moringa Cleansing balm among other cleansing balms. At first I was very apprehensive and couldn't assimilate the act of cleansing my oily face with more oils. Trust me, this works just as well if not better, but it also keeps my face very balanced, and less oily, I think. Who woulda thunk! If you are not up to the cleansing balm challenge, then consider purchasing a fuzz free cleanser. By this I mean, fragrance-free, paraben-free, organic or as close to it as possible. 

Product recommendations

Cleansing balms:

Emma Hardie Amazing Face Moringa Cleansing Balm
Clinique Take the day off cleansing balm 
The body shop chamomile facial cleansing balm

Foaming cleansers:
Neutrogena Naturals facial cleanser (found at any drugstore)
Murad Facial Cleanser with Salicylic Acid (Anywhere Murad is sold)


My routine is not the same two days in a row, it really depends how I am feeling that day and how much time I've got. 

My morning cleanse is very basic and very fast. Since my skin is usually very clean apart from any skin care I applied and excess moisture/sweat from the night before, I usually do a splash of cold water and go in with my Emma Hardie Cleanser, do a good massage around my face and neck, and remove all of the product with a wet muslin cloth (how many times you go in with the muslin cloth is dependent upon how much product you've applied). That's it! Easy peasy, right? 

The nighttime routing is a bit more complex. I usually have a full face of makeup on, unless I woke up late in which case I probably have nothing apart from sunscreen and lip balm, and so will take a bit more effort. When I'm removing my make up, I first go in with a cotton pad soaked in Bioderma, or another makeup remover, and remove most of the products on my face that way, especially the eye makeup. After that, I go in with my trusty balm cleanser and do a good massage all over my face, and rinse it off with a wet muslin. If you want to skip the makeup remover step, you can dive in straight away with your cleanser, but repeat this step twice. Bottom line, double cleanse! 

Stay tuned for next week!

Much love,

Mireya G.

No comments: