Friday, August 2, 2013

The Eyebrows Post


Eyebrows seem to be the most neglected (or abused) feature of our face. First, there was the thin-as-possible trend,  then the bushy-as-can-be trend, and now we have met in the middle. Personally, I have been blessed and cursed in the eyebrow department. Except for the few hairs that grow between them, I don't do anything.
They are naturally arched, and of regular thickness. I admit, I love to fill them in and achieve a super bold look, but I could just as well go sans maquillage in that respect. On the downside, I don't have much of an arch, and the beginning of my brows are very sparse. My mom, however, has super thin and blonde eyebrows, and my sister has very thick unruly brows. I will share some tips to make sure you have the best brows you can! You've probably heard some of these before, and for good reason!

The first step is to figure out if your eyebrows are thin, thick, unruly, long, short, or sparse. To do this, I highly recommend you take a straight face self-picture looking straight into the camera with a relaxed face. Look at the picture and analyze it.
Shape 
The shape of your brows, in theory, should start from the vertical line where your nose ends, arch at the diagonal of that point aligned with your pupil, and end on the diagonal of the corner of your eyes and corner of your nostril. There's one problem with this. People, such as myself, that have a thicker nose, or very flared nostrils, may end up having their brows starting half way through their eye. To avoid this, follow the vertical line of the peak of your nostrils instead of following the vertical line where your nose ends. That's it, everything else applies. The thickness of your brows is really up to you, but try to stay away from them being too thin or too thick.
Groom
Some people need this, some people don't. To do this, simply grab a spooley or a tooth brush and comb your hairs up. You may notice several ends sticking up and those are the ones you will need to trim using small trimming scissors. Repeat brushing down, and again trim the hairs that are too long. 
Fill
You can do this several ways, with tons of different products. There are pencils, gels, powders, markers (not Sharpies!), waxes, etc. I prefer to use powders because in my opinion, they are far more forgiving than any other product type. As for tools you can use an angled brush, or a small flat brush. I use both depending on what look I want to achieve! As per the color, you want to go with something that matches closely, or a shade lighter. For the most part, a medium brown works for everyone. Now, how do you stop from over doing it? Simple! Dip your brush in powder, tap off the excess, and then start to brush the color on the hairs starting from the middle to the outer edges, then go back to the thicker area on the inner half of your eye. This will deposit most of the color on the outer edges, where you actually need it! This works with a pencil too, since you tend to use more force in your first few strokes until your hand gets used to the movement. 

There is a great video by Zukreat Artist of Makeup that explains everything while actually doing it.

Here is a picture of me with lines drawn in to help you visualize.
                              
Notice how everything lines up with the nose                               All shaped, groomed, and filled in! 

Check out Zukreat's video, I promise it will all make sense after you see it done!

Tell me what you think! Thanks for stopping by!

Much love
-Mireya G.



No comments: