Tuesday, August 20, 2013

How to: Second Day Hair


Hello Everyone!

I know this post is kind of late for some of you, nevertheless you could always look back to this post next year! I, however, am still in need of hairstyles such as the one above. In case you are not familiar with Texas weather, then please allow me to enlighten you! Our summers, though this year has been wonderful, tend to be very hot and have been known to span all the way through October. When I saw this picture, I immediately thought "I must try this!" There was only one problem, I hadn't mastered the dutch braid. After several failed attempts, I finally got it!

I highly recommend this hairstyle for hot summer days, music festivals, school, work, second/third/fourth day hair (Please use dry shampoo), extending a blowout, casual weekend style, and just about any other occasion!

How To:

  • Part your hair like you normally do, I personally prefer a middle part, but it really is up to you.
  • Section your hair into two halves so that you have an upper half, and lower half. Secure the lower half section into a low ponytail.
  • Following your part, secure one section of your hair, I like to start braiding with the left section, so I secure the right section first. 
  • Take a small one inch section of hair from the front closest to your part, and make 3 sections. Begin a Dutch braid.
  • When it comes time to feed hair into your braid, make sure you only grab hair from the side closest to your part. Do not add hair from the other (lower) side. 
  • As you go along, remember you will have this in a ponytail, make sure you direct your braid towards the back of your head, not along your hairline. 
  • When you get to the middle back of your head, secure the ends with a bobby pin, or small elastic and do the same thing on the other side, and again secure your braid. 
  • Now it is time to pull together your small ponytail and your braids, make sure you add any hairspray or gel if you need to, and secure your ponytail about two or three inches above the nape of your neck.
  • Once you are satisfied with the placement of your ponytail, release your braids, and brush them out to create a smooth look!
PRO TIP: I like to pull small sections from the crown of my head so that it creates a small pouf. Nothing wild, just enough to give me a little volume. 


I tried this hairstyle several ways, and found it looks best with the crown teased, and straight pony. If you want to wear this style to a night event, I would suggest you curl/wave the length of you hair, tease the crown section, and make a loose thinner braid. It looks soo pretty!!

Let me know how you got along with this!!

Much love,
-Mireya G. 

No comments: