Thursday, August 29, 2013

How To: Red Lips



In my younger years, I always found red lips to be quite difficult for me. Perhaps it was because I didn't know how to without looking like a woman of ze night, never found the right shade for my skin tone, my mother would have murdered me, etc. Whatever the reason may have been, those days are long gone, and I am a huge fan of red lips, all day, every day, and year round.

I think they are perfectly acceptable for any life event, have that be a job interview (despite what others may say, just do a muted stained lip!), work, meetings, school, church, weddings, Sunday brunch, Monday luncheon, Wednesday blues, office party, barbecues, etc. you get my point. 

There are only two rules in my book about rocking a red pout:  
  1. Exfoliate and moisturize your lips regularly.
  2. Find the right shade for your skin tone.
Rule #1

Very straight forward. Exfoliate your lips, and follow up with a good moisturizing lip balm. Mom and I are huge fans of the Tarte Maracuja Lip Exfoliant, I absolutely recommend it to everybody, it is such a good value for all the product you get! As per lip moisture, you guys know that I love the Trader Johann's Virtuoso Lip Balm, which can only be bought from Trader Joe's, but I do have other favorites including the Shae Lip Butter from The Body Shop, and the Softlips Lip Protectant in Vanilla. PRO TIP: Tarte have a 15% sale right now, ULTA have the $3.50 coupon going on!

Rule #2

How to find the perfect shade of red for your skin tone
  • look on the underside of your wrist and look at your veins. If they are blue-based, you have cool undertones. If they are green-based, you have warm undertones. 
  • Fair skin tones should look for a classic red that compliments your undertone. You want to avoid anything too bright, or too pink. 
  • Medium skin tones, in my opinion, are a bit more versatile. You can get away with brighter colors, blue-based reds, classic reds, and even coral-reds.
  • Darker skin tones are also very lucky. You can use the ultra pigmented, super bright colors, and will look amazing on you! 
So there you go, simple rules. Nothing too deep. Try to have fun with it! If all else fails, go to a counter, and have a consult!  Thanks for stopping by!

Much Love,
Mireya G.



No comments: